Englewood Historical Association Records
Scope and Contents
The collection reflects the founding and activities of the Englewood Historical Association and its affiliated Englewood Junior Historical Association.
- Creation: 1868 - 1951
- Englewood Historical Association (Chicago, Ill.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
Biographical / Historical
In 1931 a group of Englewood residents interested in the history of their neighborhood joined together with the staff of the Hiram Kelly Branch Library to form an organization, “to gather and preserve historical material of the Englewood district of Chicago . . .,” and “to extend its support for the betterment of the community.” By 1941, the organization had incorporated and was known as the Englewood Historical Association (EHA).
The EHA actively collected manuscript materials, newspapers and photographs documenting the neighborhood’s rich historical tradition. From its beginning, the EHA and the Hiram Kelly Branch Library of the Chicago Public Library maintained a close relationship. The EHA held its meetings, stored its materials and received technical advice at the Hiram Kelly Branch Library. In return, the Kelly Branch received title and possession of this unique collection.
Student participation was an important component of the EHA’s sponsored activities. Students from Beale School and Wentworth School participated in the EHA’s junior historical organizations. Moreover, the EHA sponsored the writing of historical essays and sketches about the Englewood neighborhood.
1 Linear Feet (in 2 boxes (including 10 photographic images), plus 2 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Documents the organization which worked with the Kelly Branch Library to gather and preserve historical material of the Englewood district of Chicago.
The collection is divided into two series:
- Series 1: Documents, 1913-1951
- Series 2: Photographs, 1930-1941
From 1931 until 1985, the records of the Englewood Historical Association were kept at the Hiram Kelly Branch Library, 6151 S. Normal Boulevard.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to Harold Washington Library Center from Chicago Public Library’s Hiram Kelly Branch in February 1985.
- Guide to the Englewood Historical Association Records
- Original author unknown. Processed, 1985. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Johanna Russ, 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States