Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Illinois State Representative Records
Scope and Contents
This collection reflects Washington's activities in the Illinois State Assembly, most notably the legislation noted above. Formats include reports, copies of House Bills, minutes, memos, news clippings and correspondence. For photographs, please see the Pre-Mayoral Photograph Collection.
- Creation: 1957 - 1976
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1970 - 1976
- Washington, Harold, 1922-1987 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
Harold Washington was sworn in to the Illinois House of Representatives on January 6, 1965, representing the 26th district of Illinois. He served there until 1976 when he was elected to the Illinois Senate. Harold Washington had a reputation as an outstanding legislator. As a State Representative, Washington is credited with the Consumer Credit Reform Act of 1965, the Witness Protection Act of 1972, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Law of 1973, the Public Contract Laws of Fair Employment Practices Commission of 1974 and the Medical Malpractice Insurance Revision of 1975.
3.25 Linear Feet (in 7 boxes and 2 artifacts)
Language of Materials
Reports, minutes, press releases, speeches, newsletters and news clippings from Harold Washington’s tenure as State Representative for the 26th District of Illinois. Major topics covered in this collection include the creation of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Law and the Medical Malpractice Act.
Where possible the original organization has been maintained. The records are arranged into seven series:
- Series 1: Legislative, 1971-1976, undated
- Series 2: Committee and Caucus, 1957-1976, undated
- Series 3: Constituent, 1972-1976
- Series 4: Campaign, 1974
- Series 5: Press and Publicity, 1964-1976
- Series 6: Administrative, 1970-1975, undated
- Series 7: Artifacts, 1974, undated
Materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were acquired by the Chicago Public Library after Harold Washington’s death.
- Illinois. Fair Employment Practices Commission (Organization)
- Illinois. General Assembly. House of Representatives. Judiciary Committee (Organization)
- Guide to the Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Illinois State Representative Records
- Morag Walsh, circa 1995. Updated and ingested into ArchiesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman, 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States