South Shore Newspaper Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains issues of 13 newspapers related to the South Shore neighborhood. The Windsor Park Herald newspapers are from the 1890s, the other titles are from the 20th century. The newspapers from the 1960s and 1970s illustrate the changing population of the area.
- 1894 - 1982
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
Biographical / Historical
The South Shore neighborhood is 9 miles southeast of the Loop. The neighborhood runs along the Lake from E. 67th Street south to E. 79th Street. The area was annexed into Chicago in 1889. South Shore is number 43 of the 77 official communities that make up Chicago.
1.25 Linear Feet (in 1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains twelve partial runs of newspapers from the South Shore neighborhood, some of which are rare. The newspapers from the 1960s and 1970s illustrate the changing population of the South Shore neighborhood.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by newspaper name and chronologically within.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was housed in Chicago Public Library’s South Shore Branch Library. In the 1980s Special Collections, working with a Dr. Scholl Foundation grant, transferred and processed the collection to make it fully available to the public.
- American newspapers -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- South Shore (Chicago, Ill.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the South Shore Newspaper Collection
- Original author unknown. Processed, August 1989. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Johanna Russ, 2021.
- 1989 August
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States