Michael Philippi Models
Scope and Contents
The Michael Philippi Models consist of two partial set models for productions staged at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago.
- 1990 - 1991
- Philippi, Michael (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection
Biographical / Historical
Michael Philippi (1951-2009) was born in Appleton, Wis. where he began creating set designs at a young age at James Madison Junior High School. He later attended the University of Wisconsin, and worked as a professional scenic and lighting designer for theaters nationwide in addition to teaching lighting design at DePaul University.
Much of his work was realized on the stages of Chicago theaters including Northlight, Court, Remains, St. Nicholas, Chicago Opera and Chicago Shakespeare, as well as other Midwest regionals. At Wisdom Bridge Theatre, he worked with director Robert Falls where his scenic and lighting designs earned him Jeff Awards for Terra Nova (1984) and In the Belly of the Beast (1983). He continued his work with Falls and others on numerous productions at the Goodman Theatre including Desire Under the Elms, Death of a Salesman and The Speed of Darkness, all of which transferred to Broadway. Other Goodman credits include King Lear, Finishing the Picture, A Life in the Theatre, Heartbreak House, Blue Surge, Boy Gets Girl, Somebody Else’s House, On the Open Road and Pal Joey.
Philippi’s successful designs earned him multiple Jeff Award nominations and wins. He was also the recipient of two Hollywood Drama-Logue Awards.
1.5 Linear Feet (in 1 box, includes 2 models)
Language of Materials
Michael Philippi worked on stages nationwide and in Chicago. Collection includes two partial set models for productions staged at Goodman Theatre.
Models are listed chronologically.
Materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Miriam Hack in 2017
- Goodman Theatre (Chicago, Ill.)
- Set designers -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stage lighting designers -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theaters -- Models -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theaters -- Stage-setting and scenery -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Michael Philippi Models
- Processed by Sarah Zimmerman, 2017. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman, 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States