Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Development Sub-Cabinet Series
Scope and Contents
The records consist primarily of files of the Mayoral Liaison Benjamin Reyes and his two assistants, Shelley Sandow and Juanita Burris, and the Departments that reported to them. The records are particularly strong for information about Latino community organizations, economic development groups, economic studies of neighborhoods and other city and community agencies. The records in the collection reflect the operations, programs and goals of the Development Sub-Cabinet. Formats include reports, minutes, memos, budget and other financial records, personnel issues, monthly reports and correspondence. For photographs, please see the Mayoral, Press Office Photographs Series.
- 1980 - 1987
- Reyes, Benjamin (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials open without restrictions. Three files have been redacted or separated for privacy reasons and are marked CLOSED in the Collection Inventory.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection
The Development Sub-Cabinet was one of five sub-cabinets Mayor Washington established. The sub-cabinets were headed by a mayoral liaison who coordinated policies that cut across departmental boundaries. The Development Sub-Cabinet oversaw projects in several city departments, including Economic Development, Planning, Housing, the Mayor’s Office of Employment and Training, Cultural Affairs and the Chicago Housing Authority.
The other sub-cabinets were Community Services, Finance, Infrastructure and Public Safety/Regulatory. Like Development, the other sub-cabinets were responsible for the coordination, development and implementation of the Mayor’s policies that cut across departmental boundaries. The head of each sub-cabinet reported to the Chief of Staff.
24 Linear Feet (in 16 boxes)
Language of Materials
When Harold Washington took office 1983 he formed five sub-cabinets that were responsible for the coordination, development and implementation of policies that cut across departmental boundaries. The Development Sub-Cabinet worked with several city departments including Departments of Economic Development, Planning, Housing, Cultural Affairs, Chicago Housing Authority and the Mayor’s Office of Employment and Training. Documents include reports, memoranda, correspondence and minutes.
The original order has been maintained and the files are arranged into two series:
- Series 1: General Subject Files, 1983-1987, undated
- Series 2: Project Files, 1980-1987, undated
Researchers should search both series for topics as there is overlap.
Materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were acquired by the Chicago Public Library after Harold Washington’s death.
- Burris, Juanita
- Cerda, Maria
- Chicago (Ill.). Department of Cultural Affairs
- Chicago (Ill.). Department of Planning, City and Community Development
- Chicago (Ill.). Mayor's Office of Employment and Training
- Chicago Housing Authority
- Donaldson, Bess
- Economic development Subject Source: Local sources
- Fine, Fred
- Hispanic Americans -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Hollander, Elizabeth L., 1939-
- Institute for Puerto Rican Policy (U.S.)
- Latino Institute (Chicago, Ill.)
- Mier, Robert
- National Urban/Rural Fellows
- Navy Pier (Chicago, Ill.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Neighborhood forums Subject Source: Local sources
- Public Housing -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Puerto RIcans -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Smith, Zirl
- Taste of Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- United Way of Chicago
- Urban renewal -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Reyes, Benjamin (Person)
- Sandow, Shelley (Person)
- Guide to the Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Development Sub-Cabinet Series
- Special Collections staff, 2002. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States