Scottsdale Homeowners Association Records
Scope and Contents
The Scottsdale Homeowners Association Records documents the organization’s activities through meeting minutes, newsletters, news clippings, photographs and programs, primarily between 1952 and 2014. The issues that concerned the Association include the development of shopping centers, the cross-town expressway proposal, the Chicago Public Schools desegregation in the 1960s and 1970s. The organization sponsored events such as balls, little league teams and picnics.
The collection includes by-laws, directories, flyers, historical sketches, initiatives, meeting minutes, programs, a scrapbook and subject files along with a full run from 1955 to 2014 of The Scottsdale News newsletter.
- Creation: 1916 - 2014
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1952 - 2014
- Scottsdale Homeowners Association (Chicago, Ill.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
Biographical / Historical
The Scottsdale Homeowners Association (SHA) was established in 1952 by a group of residents of Scottsdale, a newly formed subdivision on the southwest side of Chicago. The mission of the SHA is to meet regularly with Scottsdale residents in order to discuss and take action on community issues and services; for example, the association worked to obtain sidewalks on major streets in the neighborhood, to acquire the Rainey, Durkin and Scottsdale Park Field houses and to establish a Summer Swim Program at Daley College, among other initiatives. In addition, SHA members have been extremely active in the neighborhood by promoting community events such as the yearly Santa Claus visit program, the Annual Picnic in the Park, and the Annual Inaugural Ball dedicated to newly elected SHA officers. The SHA published the newsletter, The Scottsdale News.
Scottsdale, a subdivision of the Ashburn neighborhood, grew out of a residential development project and shopping center planned by Raymond Lutgert. Lutgert was a real estate developer and built roughly 1,000 homes on the site of the old Ashburn Flying Field in 1952. He named the community after his son, Scott. The Scottsdale Shopping Center was completed in November of 1955 in the midst of post-World War II industrial and population growth in the area. Scottsdale runs approximately from Pulaski Avenue west to Cicero Avenue and from 77th Street south to 87th Street.
6 Linear Feet (in 8 boxes, including 50 photographs)
Language of Materials
The Scottsdale Homeowners Association was established in 1952 by residents of Scottsdale, a newly formed neighborhood on the Southwest Side of Chicago. This collection documents association’s activities through newsletters, meeting minutes, programs, clippings and photographs.
The Scottsdale Homeowners Association is arranged into 2 series: Series 1: Administrative Files, 1951-2014, undated and Series 2: Subject Files, 1916-2006, undated.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by John and Joanne Keating in 2006, 2010, and 2014. Mr. Keating was president of the association from 1977 to 1978 and again from 1983 to 1985.
- Guide to the Scottsdale Homeowners Association Records
- Original author unknown, circa 2006. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Michelle McCoy, 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States