Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Finance and Administration Sub-Cabinet Series.
Scope and Contents
The records in this collection are from the offices of Lucille R. Dobbins, Assistant to the Mayor for Finance and Administration and Kevin A. Price, Fiscal Policy Economist.
Dobbins’ files concern general supervision of a number of important economic initiatives of the Washington Administration, including the Chinatown Basin Project, renovation of the Regal Theater on the South Side and the Chicago Theatre in the Loop, North Loop development projects and the yearly city budget and financial planning process. Prices’ files focus on much the same although he was more deeply involved with the specifics of a project than Dobbins.
The documents in this collection are varied and include reports, minutes, memos, monthly status reports and correspondence. Also present are documents and reports from other city agencies, such as the Departments of Economic Development, Purchasing and the Chicago Housing Authority. This material is almost always concerned with economic issues or other administrative matters for which Dobbins’ office had responsibility. For photographs, please see the Press Office Photographs.
- 1980 - 1988
- Majority of material found within 1983 - 1987
- Price, Kevin A. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials open without restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection
The Finance and Administration Sub-Cabinet was one of five sub-cabinets Mayor Washington formed. The goals of this sub-cabinet were to reform Chicago’s inherited inefficient accounting system, to boost the city’s bond rating and to improve the overall economic performance of the city.
Lucille R. Dobbins was the first head of the sub-cabinet which was created in July 1985 though she did not begin until March 1986. Prior to this Dobbins was first deputy commissioner in the Department of Planning, where she oversaw the financial planning of the North and South Loop Redevelopment Project. Kevin A. Price was the fiscal policy economist. The other sub-cabinets in Mayor Washington’s administration were Community Services, Development, Infrastructure and Public Safety/Regulatory. Each sub-cabinet was responsible for coordination, development and implementation of the Mayor’s policies that cut across department boundaries. The head of each sub-cabinet reported to the Chief of Staff.
27 Linear Feet (in 18 boxes)
Language of Materials
When Harold Washington took office in 1983 he formed five sub-cabinets that were responsible for the coordination, development and implementation of policies that cut across departmental boundaries. Major topics in the collection include the renovation of the Chicago and Regal Theaters, the Chinatown Basin Project and the North Loop Development Project. Documents include reports, memoranda, correspondence and minutes.
The files are arranged into two series:
- Series 1: Lucille R. Dobbins Files, 1980-1988, undated
- Series 2: Kevin A. Price Files, 1980-1988, undated
The original order has been maintained as much as possible. The original names of the files have been maintained though many records were loose lying. These have been identified as such on file folders and titled according to the subject of the documents. Because Dobbins and Price worked closely together on projects, researchers interested in a specific topic are encouraged to search both series.
Materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were acquired by the Chicago Public Library after Harold Washington’s death.
- Budget -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chicago O'Hare International Airport
- Chicago Theatre (Chicago, Ill.)
- Chinatown Basin Development Project (Chicago, Ill.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Community Development Block Grant Program (Chicago, Ill.). Subject Source: Local sources
- Emergency medical services -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Financial Planning Committee for the City of Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Hispanic Americans -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Housing -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Minority business enterprises -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Regal Theater (Chicago, Ill.)
- Urban Development Action Grant Program (U.S.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Price, Kevin A. (Person)
- Dobbins, Lucille R. (Person)
- Guide to the Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Finance and Administration Sub-Cabinet Series
- Special Collections staff, 2000. Additional processing by Morag Walsh, 2018. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States