Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Infrastructure Sub-Cabinet Series
Scope and Contents
The records in this series consist primarily of the files of Robert L. Anderson, Howard Stanback and the departments that reported to the Infrastructure Sub-Cabinet. During Mayor Washington’s administration the Infrastructure Sub-Cabinet was responsible for a number of important projects, including the O’Hare Development Project, a major expansion of O’Hare International Airport: the construction of a direct L (train) connection to O’Hare; the Southwest Transit Project; and capital improvement programs to repair aging streets and sewers throughout the city.
The records in the series reflect the operations, programs and goals of the Infrastructure Sub-Cabinet. Formats include reports, minutes, memos, budget and other financial records, monthly reports and correspondence. For photographs, please see the Press Office Photographs.
- Creation: 1981 - 1989
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1983 - 1987
- Anderson, Robert L. (Person)
- Flagg, Jim (Person)
- Alvarado, Sully (Person)
- Stanback, Howard Jan, 1947- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials open without restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection
The Infrastructure Sub-Cabinet was one of five sub-cabinets Mayor Washington formed when he took office in 1983. Headed by both Robert L. Anderson and Howard Stanback, the Infrastructure Sub-Cabinet oversaw projects in several city departments, including Aviation, Public Works, Streets and Sanitation, Sewers and Water.
The other sub-cabinets were Community Services, Development, Finance and Public Safety/Regulatory. Like Infrastructure the other sub-cabinets were responsible for the coordination, development and implementation of the Mayor’s policies that cut across department boundaries. The head of each sub-cabinet reported to the Chief of Staff.
18 Linear Feet (in 40 boxes)
Language of Materials
When Harold Washington took office in 1983 he formed five sub-cabinets that were responsible for the coordination, development and implementation of policies that cut across departmental boundaries. Departments reporting to the Infrastructure Sub-Cabinet include Aviation, Public Works, Sewers, Streets and Sanitation and Water. Major topics in the collection include an expansion of O’Hare International Airport and the construction of a direct rail link to O’Hare International Airport by the Chicago Transit Authority.
The original order has been maintained as far as possible. The records are arranged into three series:
- Series 1: Subject Files, 1981-1989, undated
- Series 2: Street Closing Applications, 1985-1987, undated
- Series 3: Howard Stanback’s Papers, 1984-1988, undated
Researchers should check all series as there may be overlap.
Materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were acquired by the Chicago Public Library after Harold Washington’s death.
- Chicago (Ill.). Department of Aviation (Organization)
- Chicago (Ill.). Department of Public Works (Organization)
- Chicago (Ill.). Department of Streets and Sanitation (Organization)
- Chicago (Ill.). Department of Water (Organization)
- Chicago (Ill.). Department of Water & Sewers (Organization)
- Chicago O'Hare International Airport -- Noise Abatement Office (Organization)
- Meigs Field (Organization)
- Chicago Transit Authority -- Blue Line (Organization)
- Chicago Transit Authority -- Orange Line (Organization)
- O'Hare Modernization Program (Chicago, Ill.) (Organization)
- Navy Pier Development Authority (Chicago, Ill.) (Organization)
- Guide to the Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Infrastructure Sub-Cabinet Series
- Special Collections staff, 2002. Additional processing by Morag Walsh, 2018. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States