Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Office Manager / Supervisor of Clerical Staff Records
Scope and Contents
The records in this collection were generated by Ella Richmond, Supervisor of Clerical Staff and her staff. The files shed light on the day to day administrative work done within the Mayor’s Office. The types of records include memos, correspondence, reports, publications, invoices and payment vouchers. Ella Richmond’s files also contain some personnel information about employees.
- 1975 - 1988
- Majority of material found within 1983 - 1987
- Richmond, Ella (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials primarily in English. Some materials in Spanish.
Conditions Governing Access
Materials open without restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection
Ella Richmond was appointed the Supervisor of Clerical Staff in 1984 and continued with this position through 1987. The functions of the Supervisor of Clerical Staff included overseeing the assignment of work duties and enforcement of office policies so that inventorying, ordering and payments would be completed in a timely manner. Duties of Clerical Staff included inventorying, ordering and payment for supplies, services and equipment for the Mayor’s Office. Staff that worked with purchase vouchers processed all necessary paperwork and followed through on requisitions.
15.5 Linear Feet (in 31 boxes)
In 1983 Harold Washington became Chicago’s first African American mayor. The Office Manager / Supervisor of Clerical Staff Records detail the day to day administrative work done within the Mayor’s Office.
Where possible, original order has been maintained. The records are arranged into three series:
- Series 1: Ella Richmond Files, 1976-1986, undated
- Series 2: General Subject Files, 1975-1988, undated
- Series 3: Purchase Vouchers, 1979-1987, undated
Materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were acquired by Chicago Public Library after Harold Washington’s death.
- Business correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Washington, Harold, 1922-1987 -- Archives
- Richmond, Ella (Person)
- Guide to the Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Office Manager / Supervisor of Clerical Staff Records
- Special Collections staff, circa 1998. Additional processing by Morag Walsh, 2019. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman, 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States