Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Legislative Liaison and Intergovernmental Affairs Records
Scope and Contents
The Legislative Liaison and Intergovernmental Affairs Series consists of records created by the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs and the Legislative Liaison. Records include drafts of legislation, correspondence, memoranda, press releases, reports, research files and testimony.
- 1977 - 1988
- Majority of material found within 1984 - 1987
- Washington, Harold, 1922-1987 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
The Office of Intergovernmental Affairs (IGA) was established to coordinate legislative and lobbying efforts for and with various city departments, boards and commissions. Before 1984, there was no overall coordination between the Mayor’s Office and lobbying efforts in Chicago, Springfield and Washington, D.C. The IGA centralized responsibility for relationships with government agencies and commissions that affected Chicago.
11.5 Linear Feet (in 23 boxes)
Language of Materials
Records created by the Harold Washington’s Office of Intergovernmental Affairs (IGA) and the Legislative Liaison. IGA was established to coordinate legislative and lobbying efforts for and with various city departments, boards and commissions and with state and federal governments. Major topics in the collection include transportation issues and Chicago’s anti-apartheid and divestment from South Africa efforts.
The records are arranged into three series:
- Series 1: Subject Files, 1979-1988, undated
- Series 2: Chief Policy Advisor, 1977-1987, undated
- Series 3: Legislation, 1985-1987
Materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Chicago Public Library acquired the records after Harold Washington’s death.
- Business correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Chicago (Ill.). Mayor's Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Chicago Transit Authority
- Clippings. Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Divestment -- South Africa Subject Source: Local sources
- Interagency copperation -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Intergovernmental cooperation -- Illinois Subject Source: Local sources
- Intergovernmental cooperation -- United States Subject Source: Local sources
- Legislative materials Subject Source: Local sources
- Municipal Ordinances Subject Source: Local sources
- Records (Documents) Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Guide to the Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Legislative Liaison and Intergovernmental Affairs Records
- Special Collections staff, 1995. Additional processing by Morag Walsh, 2021. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman, 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States