Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Real Estate Review Committee Records
Scope and Contents
Files in this collection are the working records of the Real Estate Review Committee. Types of documents include market appraisals and reports, correspondence, photographs of properties, site plans, vacation ordinances, recommended prices by the Committee, inspections, leases to city departments, devaluation reports, location maps, plats of survey, redevelopment plans, recommendations, market data, analysis of appraisal reports and acquisition parcel maps.
- Creation: 1979 - 1984
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1983 - 1984
- Washington, Harold, 1922-1987 (Person)
- Chicago (Ill.). Mayor's Real Estate Review Committee (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials open without restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
In the early 1980s, the Real Estate Review Committee managed a wide range of city-owned properties. The Committee oversaw all aspects in this area, from acquisition to disposition. The Committee had two chairs during the years covered in this collection: Louise Q. Lawson and Dempsey J. Travis. Mr. Travis (1920-2009) was the president of Travis Realty Company and a well-known Chicago author.
6 Linear Feet (in 12 boxes)
Language of Materials
This Committee managed a wide range of city-owned properties. Documents include market value appraisals and reports, correspondence, site plans, leases and market data and from 1979-1984.
Original order was lost and the records are arranged into three series:
- Series 1: Land Appraisals, 1979-1984
- Series 2: Disposition Parcels, 1981-1984
- Series 3: General Files, 1983-1984, undated
Materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Chicago Public Library acquired the records after Harold Washington’s death.
- Finding Guide to the Harold Washington Archives and Collections. Mayoral Records. Real Estate Review Committee Records
- Originally processed by Special Collections staff in the early 1990s. Updated by Morag Walsh, 2021. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman, 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States