Plays and Players, Set 2, Theater Scrapbooks Collection
Scope and Contents
Though the compiler of this set of “Plays and Players” scrapbooks carefully recorded the names of her theater-going companions, she herself remains anonymous. The volumes include programs, pictures and numerous newspaper clippings, as well as the compiler’s own comments in many cases. There are programs for operas, concerts, plays and a selection of ballet and early modern dance programs. Volume 5 of this series contains only lecture programs and has not been included in the index for the set.
- 1908 - 1912
Conditions Governing Access
Materials open without restrictions
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
Biographical / Historical
This set of scrapbooks was received by the Chicago Public Library as a gift in February 1968 and transferred to the Special Collections Division at some later date. The donor’s name is not recorded, but there is some evidence that the volumes at one time belonged to Max Maier, a collector of Chicago theater memorabilia who was known to readers of the Chicago Tribune “Line O’ Type or Two” column as “Max of the Second Gallery.”
1 Linear Feet (in 5 boxes, includes 5 scrapbooks)
Language of Materials
The compiler of this scrapbook series remains anonymous. The volumes include programs, newspaper clippings and the compiler’s comments and notes. Productions represented include operas, concerts, plays and dance.
The scrapbooks remain bound in their original order. The collection inventory is arranged alphabetically by production title for ease of use.
- Box PP2-1, Volume 1, 1908-1909
- Box PP2-2, Volume 2, 1909-1910
- Box PP2-3, Volume 3, 1910-1911
- Box PP2-4, Volume 4, 1911-1912
- Box PP2-5, Volume 5, Lectures, 1908-1912
Note: Volume 5 of this series (Lectures) is not indexed.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to Chicago Public Library in 1968
- Concert programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dance programs Subject Source: Local sources
- Opera programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 20th Century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater -- Reviews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Plays and Players, Set 2, Theater Scrapbooks Collection
- Original author unknown. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Sarah Zimmerman, 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States