Chicago Public Library Archives. 125th Anniversary Records
Scope and Contents
This collection documents events held to celebrate the Chicago Public Library’s 125th year of public service in 1998. The collection was actively solicited by staff in the Special Collections & Preservation Division upon the direction of the Commissioner.
- Creation: 1997 - 1998
- Chicago Public Library (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
Biographical / Historical
The Chicago Public Library was founded in 1872, and opened to the public on January 1, 1873. In 1998, CPL celebrated its 125th anniversary through programming and publications.
8 Linear Feet (in 7 boxes)
Language of Materials
Documents the activities held to celebrate the Library’s 125th year of operation.
The collection has been organized into four Series:
- Series 1: Central Library Series
- Series 2: Neighborhood Services Series
- Series 3: Ephemera Series
- Series 4: Photograph Series
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was actively solicited by staff in the Special Collections & Preservation Division upon the direction of the Commissioner.
- Guide to the Chicago Public Library Archives. 125th Anniversary Records
- Morag Walsh, 1999. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Johanna Russ, 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States