Drawing and Print Collection
Scope and Contents
The Drawing and Print Collection brings together a selection of 2-dimensional artworks that have been gifted to the Library from multiple donors, acquired directly by Chicago Public Library as part of the permanent art collection or transferred as historic resources to Special Collections from the Library’s Visual and Performing Art department. The artworks span multiple styles and dates from as early as 1756 to as recent as 2016. The artists are equally diverse with some being world renown, some locally known and some with little to no biographical information.
- 1756-2016, undated
- Albers, Josef (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are primarily in English, with a few items in Estonian, French and Japanese.
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
15.25 Linear Feet (in 11 boxes, 15 folios, 55 Oversize Folders, includes 34 drawings and 717 prints)
The Drawing and Print Collection brings together a selection of 2-dimensional artworks that are part of Chicago Public Library’s permanent art collection. The collection contains works on paper that use drawing media such as charcoal, ink, pastel, pencil or watercolor or one of the printmaking processes such as collography, drypoint, etching, lithography, screen printing or woodcut.
The artworks in this collection are arranged into three series based on the mediums of creation: Series 1: Drawings, circa 1910-1987, undated; Series 2: Prints, 1756-2003, undated and Series 3: Prints, Chicago Subjects, 1899-2016, undated.
Some materials are stored offsite and advance notice is required for use. Please request materials at least 24-hours prior to your research visit to coordinate access.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The materials were acquired by purchase, from various donors and transferred from various Chicago Public Library locations.
- Artists’ preparatory studies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Etching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Federal Art Project -- Illinois
- Intaglio printing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lithography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prints, Japanese--1868- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Relief printing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Serigraphy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stencil work Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wood-engraving Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Weiss, Edward H. (Person)
- Albers, Josef (Person)
- Brod, F. (Fritzi), 1900-1952 (Person)
- Burroughs, Margaret Taylor, 1917-2010 (Person)
- Dalí, Salvador, 1904-1989 (Person)
- Gropper, William, 1897-1977 (Person)
- Hansen, Robert, 1924- (Person)
- Hunt, Richard, 1935- (Person)
- Landau, Jacob, 1917-2001 (Person)
- Masson, André, 1896-1987 (Person)
- Nelson, William (Person)
- Piranesi, Giovanni Battista, 1720-1778 (Person)
- Séguy, E. A. (Emile-Allain), 1877-1951 (Person)
- Szász, Endre, 1926-2003 (Person)
- Tamarind Institute (Organization)
- Tamayo, Rufino, 1899-1991 (Person)
- Varin, Raoul, 1865-1943 (Person)
- Women’s Graphics Collective (Organization)
- Guide to the Drawing and Print Collection
- Michelle McCoy, 2018. Updated and reformatted for ArchivesSpace by Michelle McCoy, 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Special Collections Unit at Harold Washington Library Center Repository
Harold Washington Library Center, 9th Floor
Chicago Public Library
400 S. State Street
Chicago IL 60605 United States