Archdiocese of Chicago/Black History Educational Program Archives
Scope and Contents
This small collection consists of 26 audio reel-to-reel magnetic tapes created by the Archdiocese of Chicago’s Office of Catholic Education. Each tape is a lecture on Black history and culture. The title of the tape and speaker is noted if known. The tapes are undated, but were likely recorded in the mid-1960s.
- 1960s (undated)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions, limited due to media type
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection
Biographical / Historical
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago was established as a diocese in 1843 and elevated to an archdiocese in 1880. The Archdiocese of Chicago has a strong history of education and civil rights activism in Chicago and nationwide.
7 Linear Feet (in 7 boxes, including 26 audio reel-to-reel magnetic tapes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of reel-to-reel audiotapes on African American history and literature created by the Archdiocese of Chicago.
The reel-to-reel audio tapes in this collection are arranged alphabetically by each tape’s title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Robert C. Davis, Director of Federally Funded Projects in the Archdiocese of Chicago’s Office of Catholic Education, in July 1992.
- Antislavery movements United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bennett, Lerone, Jr., 1928-2018
- Civil rights movements United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Franklin, John Hope, 1915-2009
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slavery United States History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Archdiocese of Chicago/Black History Educational Program Archives
- Elizabeth Loch, Archival Specialist, April 2021
- April 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection Repository
Woodson Regional Library
Chicago Public Library
9525 S. Halsted Street
Chicago IL 60628 United States