Nannie Pinkney Papers
Scope and Contents
collection includes photographs from retirement parties for Nannie Pickney’s co-workers (Bennie Brown, Charlemae Hill Rollins, and Irene Watkins). The collection also includes an audio cassette tape of Nannie Pinkney discussing Vivian G. Harsh.
- circa 1959-1994
- Pinkney, Nannie, 1925- (donor., Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Most materials are open without restrictions, audio cassette restricted due to physical condition
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection
Biographical / Historical
Nannie Pinkney was born in 1925. She joined the staff of Chicago Public Library in the summer of 1945 working at the Timothy B. Blackstone Branch. Pinkney became a junior clerk at the George Cleveland Hall Branch in 1946. At Hall Branch, Pinkney worked closely with librarians Vivian G. Harsh and Charlemae Hill Rollins. Pinkney stayed at Hall Branch until 1956 when she became a senior clerk at a Chicago Public Library’s Washington Park Branch (now closed).
1 Linear Feet (in 1 box, includes 1 audio cassette and 15 photographs)
Language of Materials
In the 1950s, Nannie Pinkney was a clerk at George Cleveland Hall Branch Library. Her papers include an oral history audiotape on the Hall Branch and the last years of Vivian Harsh’s life, as well as photographs.
The 15 photographs and one audio cassette tape in this collection are organized alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Nannie Pinkney in 1994
- African American librarians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Audiocassettes. Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Chicago Public Library. George C. Hall Branch
- Harsh, Vivian G.
- Harsh, Vivian G. -- : Photographs.
- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Pinkney, Nannie, 1925- -- : Archives.
- Public librarians -- Retirement -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rollins, Charlemae Hill -- : Photographs.
- Sound recordings. Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Nannie Pinkney Papers
- Elizabeth Loch, Archival Specialist
- April 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection Repository
Woodson Regional Library
Chicago Public Library
9525 S. Halsted Street
Chicago IL 60628 United States