Skip to main content

Belmont Cragin Community Collection

 Collection
Identifier: nnhc-bc

Scope and Contents

This collection contains clippings, programs, yearbooks, photographs, and biographical and historical sketches. It covers local schools, businesses, a park, and a home. The collection includes biographical material, scrapbook pages, and photographs on Wladislaw and Albertyna Dyniewicz, newspaper and book publishers who were prominent figures in Chicago’s early Polish community.

Dates

  • Creation: 1883 - 1946
  • Creation: Majority of material found within 1913 - 1946

Conditions Governing Access

Materials are open without restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.

Biographical / Historical

Belmont Cragin is one of Chicago's 77 community areas, located on the northwest side of the city, 8 miles from the loop. Native American people were the original residents of the area. European settlers arrived in the area in the 1830s and began to establish factories and plants in the area in the 1880s, which led to an increase in population. Originally part of Jefferson Township, the area was annexed by the city of Chicago in 1889. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, factories continued to move to the area, although by the late twentieth century many were no longer in business. Immigrants have long called Belmont Cragin home, including those from Ireland, Poland, and Italy. By the 2000s, Belmont Cragin’s demographic shifted to Latinx communities.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (in 1 box, includes 13 photographs)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This small collection contains clippings, programs, yearbooks, photographs, and biographical and historical sketches of the Belmont Cragin neighborhood in the late nineteenth and first half of the twentieth century.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in two series:

Series 1: Documents, 1883-1946

Series 2: Photographs, circa 1880s-1943, undated

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The Belmont Cragin Community Collection was a subdivision of the West Side Historical Society collections, accessioned in a group into the holdings of the Neighborhood History Research Collections. It was later transferred to the Northside Neighborhood History Collection.

Related Materials

Dyniewicz/ Kuflewski Collection at the Polish Museum of America, Chicago

Title
Guide to the Belmont Cragin Community Collection
Status
Completed
Author
Allyson Smally
Date
2021
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Northside Neighborhood History Collection Repository

Contact:
Sulzer Regional Library
Chicago Public Library
4455 N. Lincoln Avenue
Chicago IL 60625 United States
(312) 742-4455