Skip to main content

Christian Fellowship Church Collection

Identifier: nnhc-cfc

Scope and Contents

This small collection contains membership, financial, program, and business information for the Christian Fellowship Church. It also includes two historical sketches and photographs. The manuscript material, with the exception of the historical sketches, is mostly handwritten in German. The photographs depict Sunday school classes and gatherings of adults and young people, including a youth conference, anniversary dinner, and guitar choir.


  • Creation: 1927 - 1990


Conditions Governing Access

Materials are open without restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.

Biographical / Historical

In 1926, a group of German immigrants gathered in the home of Conrad and Martha Wendtland to study the Bible and pray. They took out an ad in a local German newspaper to attract newcomers to the group. Carl Ickes, a Christian businessman who came to America in 1896 and had studied under the second president of the Moody Bible Institute, advised the group to purchase a house at 1938 West Waveland Avenue, and they did so. They renovated the first floor for worship and study, drew up a constitution, and held a dedication service in 1930. They were officially called "Christian Fellowship."

They had no full time pastor, but Liberty Corner Mission sent a deaconess, Sister Anna, to help them. She led meetings, trained lay people, and started the Tract Mission Society. Through her efforts the church continued to grow within the German community. In 1950 they moved to 3425 N. Damen Avenue, and in the 1950s they began holding services in both English and German. In 1980 the Christian Fellowship joined with the Evangelical Free Church of America and became Christian Fellowship Evangelical Free Church.


1.5 Linear Feet (in 2 boxes, includes 20 photographs)

Language of Materials



Conrad and Martha Wendtland founded the Christian Fellowship Church in their home in 1926. The activities of the church are documented in minutes from committee meetings, financial and membership ledgers, and photographs.


The collection is arranged in two series:

Series 1: General Historical Files, 1928-1990

Series 2: Photographs, 1927-1951

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Mark Dawson on behalf of the Christian Fellowship Evangelical Free Church in October 1990.

Existence and Location of Copies

Select photographs from this collection are available in the Library's Northside Clubs and Organizations Digital Collection.

Guide to the Christian Fellowship Church Collection
Processed by Becky Haglund Tousey, 1990. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Allyson Smally, 2021.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Northside Neighborhood History Collection Repository

Sulzer Regional Library
Chicago Public Library
4455 N. Lincoln Avenue
Chicago IL 60625 United States
(312) 742-4455