Skip to main content

North Town Woman's Club Records

 Collection
Identifier: nnhc-00013

Scope and Contents

This collection consists mostly of record books containing meeting minutes of regular and Executive Board meetings of the North Town Woman’s Club. It also contains reports and a small amount of additional material such as notes and correspondence. The club was made up of a number of departments representing different areas of their work, such as Membership, Philanthropy, and World Events. Both the minutes and reports contain material from the departments as well as the general club.

Dates

  • 1930 - 1980

Conditions Governing Access

Materials are open without restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.

Biographical / Historical

The North Town Woman’s Club was formed on December 17, 1930. Many of the founders had been active in the Daniel Boone Parent Teachers Association. It aimed to pursue civic, educational, and philanthropic purposes. The club held many of their meetings at the Indian Boundary Park Field House at 2500 W. Lunt Avenue. The club’s activities included visiting and collecting gifts for children at local hospitals; hosting lectures on topics such as politics, travel, and the arts; raising funds and working to support local charities; and hosting musical programs. The club celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1980, and they appear to have been active through at least 1987.

Extent

3 Linear Feet (in 6 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The North Town Woman’s Club was formed on December 17, 1930. It aimed to pursue civic, educational, and philanthropic purposes. This collection consists mostly of their meeting minutes and reports, with a small amount of additional material such as notes and correspondence.

Arrangement

The record books with general meeting minutes were placed first, arranged chronologically, followed by two folders of minutes from club departments. Next are two folders of reports from the Illinois Federation of Women’s Clubs. Finally, there are reports and related material, mostly from club departments. These are arranged alphabetically according to the name of the group that produced them or the type of material they contain.

Custodial History

The records were transferred to Special Collections along with the Chicago Park District Records. The Park District came into possession of them because the Club met in the Indian Boundary Park Field House and stored its records there. They were discovered after a fire in the Field House in 2012.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred to the Northside Neighborhood History Collection from Chicago Public Library’s Special Collections Division.

Title
Guide to the North Town Woman's Club Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Johanna Russ, 2016. Finding Aid created and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Allyson Smally, 2022.
Date
2022
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding Aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Northside Neighborhood History Collection Repository

Contact:
Sulzer Regional Library
Chicago Public Library
4455 N. Lincoln Avenue
Chicago IL 60625 United States
(312) 742-4455