Helen G. Kinsella Collection
Scope and Contents
The Helen G. Kinsella Collection consists mostly of material Kinsella used in her role as a drama and public speaking teacher at Lake View High School. It includes scripts for plays and radio broadcasts, sheet music, a scrapbook, and a small amount of writings and poetry. It also contains photographs, mostly of student drama productions and activities.
- 1905-1966, undated
- Majority of material found within 1950 - 1965
- Kinsella, Helen G. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
Biographical / Historical
Helen G. Kinsella was a teacher in Chicago for over 50 years. She was born in May 1891 and was involved with theater from a young age. Kinsella taught drama and public speaking in the English Department of Lake View High School from 1931-1961 and also served as department chair. She was a graduate of DePaul University and was active with the International Federation of Catholic Alumnae. She died in Chicago in November 1971.
2.5 Linear Feet (in 4 boxes, includes 68 photographs)
Language of Materials
Helen G. Kinsella was a teacher in Chicago for over 50 years, including 30 years teaching drama and public speaking at Lake View High School. This collection documents her career and work. It includes photographs of dramatic productions and student activities at Lake View High School.
The collection is arranged in 8 series:
Series 1: General Historical Files, 1931-1966, undated
Series 2: Plays, 1942-1960, undated
Series 3: Poetry, undated
Series 4: Radio Broadcasts and Workshops, 1952-1953, undated
Series 5: Scrapbook, 1954-1955
Series 6: Songbooks & Sheet Music, 1905-1956
Series 7: Writings, 1952-1965, undated
Series 8: Photographs, 1939-1960, undated
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Reverend George A. Rice of Addison Street Congregational Church.
- College and school drama, American -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- High school student activities -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Lake View High School (Chicago, Ill.)
- Guide to the Helen G. Kinsella Collection
- Original author unknown. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Allyson Smally, 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Northside Neighborhood History Collection Repository
Sulzer Regional Library
Chicago Public Library
4455 N. Lincoln Avenue
Chicago IL 60625 United States