Louis D. Walz Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains news clippings, programs, and correspondence related to Louis D. Walz’s work as the band director at Lake View High School; letters from former students, many of who wrote while serving in World War II; and photographs. The photographs mostly depict students in the marching band at Lake View High. There are also a small number of photographs of other local musical groups, Walz’s family, and a gathering held in his honor at Hild Regional Library in 1982.
- 1928 - 1982
- Walz, Louis D., 1897-1985 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Materials are open without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.
Biographical / Historical
Louis D. Walz directed the Lake View High School Band from 1928 until his retirement in 1961. During his long tenure as band conductor, the Lake View High School band won numerous awards and trophies, and Walz developed long-lasting friendships with many of his students.
Walz was born in 1897 and attended Western Springs Military Academy and Vander Cook College of Music. In 1917 he enlisted in the Army Band, where he played coronet, was an assistant conductor, and studied in Paris after the signing of the armistice. After the war, he taught music and conducted and played in bands with numerous different groups, including the American Legion Continental Bank post band, Mark Nathans Orphan Home, and the American Conservatory of Music.
Louis D. Walz was married to Lucille Bredlow. They had one daughter, Marjorie. He died on June 7, 1985 in Chicago.
2 Linear Feet (in 3 boxes and 194 photos)
Language of Materials
Louis D. Walz directed the Lake View High School Band from 1928 until his retirement in 1961. The collection includes photographs of student musical activities at Lake View High; letters from former students serving in World War II; and programs, clippings, and correspondence related to Walz’s work at Lake View High.
The collection is arranged in three series:
Series 1: General Historical Files, 1928-1971
Series 2: Correspondence, 1933-1951
Series 3: Photographs, 1928-1982
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Louis D. Walz donated the majority of the collection in 1982. Additional material was donated by his daughter Marjorie Walz after his death in 1986.
- High school student activities -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Lake View High School (Chicago, Ill.)
- Marching bands Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marching bands -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Louis D. Walz.Collection
- Manuscript material processed by Robert Marshall, 1982. Photographs processed by Becky Haglund, 1984. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Allyson Smally, 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Northside Neighborhood History Collection Repository
Sulzer Regional Library
Chicago Public Library
4455 N. Lincoln Avenue
Chicago IL 60625 United States