Skip to main content

Ravenswood Woman's Club Records

Identifier: nnhc-rwc

Content Description

The papers of the Ravenswood Woman’s Club reflect their activities, goals and achievements through the minute books from the Board of Managers and regular meetings, program announcements, calendars, news clippings and yearbooks, and photographs.


  • 1891-1976, undated


Conditions Governing Access

Materials are open without restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Please consult staff to determine ability to reuse materials from collection.

Historical Note

The Ravenswood Woman’s Club was organized in 1889 under the name of the Woman’s Literary Club of Ravenswood. Its main objective was to promote intellectual growth through discussions and study groups. In 1894 the club became an incorporated body and the name was changed to the Ravenswood Woman’s Club.

Membership soon grew to over a hundred, as a result, the Club’s objective was broadened in scope to include educational and philanthropic work as well as social and civic activities. This can be seen through their close association with such community groups as the Ravenswood Improvement Association, Lake View High School, Ravenswood Hospital and the Ravenswood-Lake View Historical Association.

The membership began to dwindle during the mid-1950s. By 1974 the Ravenswood Woman’s Club disbanded. On April 15, 1974, the club held their last meeting in conjunction with the Ravenswood-Lake View Historical Association’s Annual Dinner.


2 Linear Feet (in 4 boxes plus 5 photographs)

Language of Materials



The collection consists of yearbooks which contain the club’s articles of incorporation, lists of officers and members, by-laws, news clippings, and program announcements and calendars and 5 photographs.


The collection is arranged in 2 series: Series 1: Administrative Records, 1891-1976, undated Series 2: Photographs, 1899, 1905, undated

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Mrs. Ethel Reeda in 1974.

Guide to the Ravenswood Woman's Club Records
Processed as part of the Local History grant received from the Scholl Foundation in 1982 May. Updated and ingested into ArchivesSpace by Julie Lynch, 2021
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Northside Neighborhood History Collection Repository

Sulzer Regional Library
Chicago Public Library
4455 N. Lincoln Avenue
Chicago IL 60625 United States
(312) 742-4455