Showing Collections: 91 - 120 of 376
Special Collections holds over 100 dance programs and souvenir books. Collection includes material on the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo, especially in its earlier incarnations as Col. W. De Basil’s Ballet Russe, the Original Ballet Russe and the Monte Carlo Ballet Russe, as well as a scrapbook of programs donated by Ruth Page.
The Chicago Theater Collection-Historical Programs contains programs, playbills and newspaper clippings from more than 5,000 productions at Chicago’s historical theaters. More than 2,000 playbills and programs of local dramas, comedies, melodramas, operas, vaudeville performances and other events between the 1840s to the 1920s are available online in the Chicago Theater Collection-Historical Programs Digital Collection.
Includes publications and serials with amusement listings and venue diagrams to assist tourists and theater-goers secure tickets and plan trips to Chicago.
The Chicago Theater Videotape Collection houses video recordings (primarily VHS videocassettes, but also some DVDs) of productions and other events at theaters across the city.
This scrapbook includes primarily Chicago, New York and Detroit programs, as well as reviews from Chicago newspapers.
Conrad and Martha Wendtland founded the Christian Fellowship Church in their home in 1926. The activities of the church are documented in minutes from committee meetings, financial and membership ledgers, and photographs.
Chicago’s City Lit Theater has been devoted to stage adaptations of literary works. The collection includes scripts, promotional material, photographs, production and administrative records.
South Shore Country Club, originally a private club that barred African Americans, was scheduled for demolition in 1977. A grassroots coalition of community organizations organized to save, preserve and restore the historic site for all citizens. This collection contains blueprints and drawings of the renovation of South Shore Country Club, administrative records, statistical reports, newspaper clippings, photographs and memorabilia.
CORE, a national civil rights organization, began in Chicago in 1942, with protests to force desegregation of restaurants and other public accommodations. These archives cover the period of the early and mid-1960s, when Chicago CORE’s membership was at its height. Records include meeting minutes, correspondence, flyers, programs, news clippings and photographs.
The majority of the collection consists of letters from lodge brothers serving in World War I, with updates on their lives and activities. It also contains a small amount of historical information about Lodge #892 of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
Mrs. Harlan Ward Cooley (Helen "Nellie" Wooster Cooley) served as head of the Chicago Women's Club's Century of Progress Committee, which sponsored a series of lectures during the Century of Progress Exposition entitled, "Women in Civilization." This collection includes correspondence between Mrs. Cooley and speakers, as well as copies of speeches delivered at the Exposition.
The collection consists of published works in pamphlet or journal form, and a small amount of correspondence and news clippings.
The Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861-1865, is an organization whose membership can trace its lineage to soldiers who served on the Union side in America’s Civil War, 1861-1865. The DUVCW was founded in 1885 in Massillon, Ohio. This collection is comprised almost entirely of minute books from the Department of Illinois and various local tents throughout the state.
The Drawing and Print Collection brings together a selection of 2-dimensional artworks that are part of Chicago Public Library’s permanent art collection. The collection contains works on paper that use drawing media such as charcoal, ink, pastel, pencil or watercolor or one of the printmaking processes such as collography, drypoint, etching, lithography, screen printing or woodcut.
A prominent Chicago dentist, Claude Driskell served as president of the Lincoln Dental Society and is the author of a history of Chicago’s African American dentists. He was also the historian for the renowned “Original Forty Club” and authored the club’s 75th anniversary book. Driskell’s papers include manuscripts, photographs, serials and memorabilia.
In the mid-twentieth century, journalist and writer Richard Durham created Destination Freedom, a series of radio shows dramatizing the Black experience in America. He went on to edit the Muhammad Speaks newspaper, create a television show in 1971 and assisted in the writing of Muhammad Ali’s autobiography, The Greatest. The collection contains transcripts and recordings of the radio plays, manuscripts, interviews, photographs and other audiovisual material.
The East Garfield Park Collection contains manuscripts, printed material and photographs on businesses, clubs and organizations, religious institutions, residents, schools and street scenes in the community area, as well as Garfield Park itself.
Edison Park, located on the far northwest side of the city, is one of Chicago's seventy-seven community areas. This collection mostly consists of news clippings documenting people and organizations in the Edison Park Community. There is also a small amount of additional material such as programs, booklets, and correspondence. The majority of the material dates from 1962-1976.
The Ellsworth-Arnold Photograph Albums were created by official Fair photographer C.D. Arnold for James W. Ellsworth, a member of the Exposition's Board of Directors. The images document the progression of Jackson Park from a mossy landfill into one of the most beautiful and fleeting architectural gems of the 19th century.
James W. Ellsworth was one of the leading directors of the World’s Fair of 1893. His papers consist of outgoing correspondence (85 letters), incoming correspondence (926 letters), departmental records and ephemera. The collection documents his activities with the Fair from its planning stages through the disposition of the exhibits and buildings after the close of the exposition.
The collection contains a range of articles, brochures, historical sketches, newsletters, photographs, programs and reports that focus on Englewood’s neighborhood events, persons and organizations, particularly during the late 19th century to the early 1960s. Of particular note are the neighborhood photographs and the series devoted to schools in Englewood.
The Englewood High School Records contains historical sketches, laboratory notebooks, photographs, programs, publications and yearbooks that chronicle school history and student activities.
Documents the organization which worked with the Kelly Branch Library to gather and preserve historical material of the Englewood district of Chicago.
The Englewood Newspaper Collection is a small collection of newspapers published in or about the community in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.