Showing Collections: 121 - 150 of 376
The Englewood Woman’s Club Collection was organized in 1896. The collection consists primarily of yearbooks dating from 1898 to 1931.
eta was founded in 1969 by Abena Joan Brown and Okoro Harold Johnson. The theater produces dramas and musicals by local and national playwrights and features “Playwrights Specak,” a readers’ theater for new playwrights.
The Collections on Rev. Clay Evans brings together materials related to Rev. Clay Evans and Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church during the 50-year span of his leadership from 1950-2000. These materials reflect member involvement in choirs, clubs, committees and community service opportunities fostered by Rev. Evans and their participation in annual banquets, revivals and travel. The collection includes church documents, photographs, artifacts and musical recordings.
T. (Thomas) Arthur Evans (1878-1945) was the Chief Engineer for the creation of Chicago’s double-level Wacker Drive that opened in 1926. The collection includes a small selection of his professional documents such as his resume, engineering licenses, correspondence, ephemera, news clippings along with 43 photographs, most of which are related to the construction of Chicago’s Wacker Drive.
Felix Fantus (1886-1955) was an active theater-goer. He collected playbills from the Grand Opera House, Illinois, Powers’, Dearborn and McVicker’s theaters among others. Fantus included these programs and other clippings and ephemera in his theater scrapbook.
The Fenger High School Records are comprised of three major formats: numerous copies of the school yearbook, the Fenger Courier, which in its early years was published twice yearly; photographs taken at a 1946 school dance; and three scrapbooks put together by Mrs. Fenstemacher throughout her career as English teacher at Fenger High School.
Scrapbooks compiled by Mr. and Mrs. William Fenstemacher. These scrapbooks contain photographs of members of the congregation of the Fernwood Methodist Church at religious and social events. Also included are news clippings and programs relating to the activities of the church.
This collection chronicles the work of several Chicago-based social service organizations in the 1930s and early 1940s through the experience and leadership of board member John J. Finlay. The Chicago Area Project (CAP) is especially well documented.
Clara Hemmings Furry pasted her theater programs and occasionally news clippings and pictures into scrapbooks. Pages are annotated with place, date of performance and the identity of Furry’s companions.
Established in 1898 as a settlement house to serve poor immigrant families in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago’s Lower West Side community area, Gads Hill Center offered education, job training, recreational activities and other social services. The photographs in this collection depict a range of activities and facilities in the early part of the twentieth century.
The collection contains 78 photographs of the Gage family who resided at 4236 S. Prairie Avenue in Chicago’s Grand Boulevard community in the early 20th century.
Founded by Gary Tucker (pseudonym “Eleven”) in 1971. Includes programs and promotional material for six productions starring such well-known Chicago theater personalities as Linda Kimbrough and Jack Wallace.
The Goodman Family Papers document the family’s ongoing support and involvement with the Goodman Theatre after it was established as a memorial to the late playwright Kenneth Sawyer Goodman by his parents in 1922. The papers include correspondence, memos, meeting materials and scrapbooks related to operations of the Goodman Theatre and the School of Drama of the Art Institute of Chicago.
The Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) was an organization of former soldiers and sailors who served in the Union forces during the Civil War or who were members of state militia on active duty and subject to national call during the war. The Wilcox Post, No. 668 was located at 9628 S. Longwood Drive in Chicago’s Morgan Park neighborhood. The collection consists of 3 manuscript ledgers and a selection of pension certificates.
The Greater Rockwell neighborhood is located within Chicago’s Lincoln Square community area. This small collection contains administrative records and publications from the Greater Rockwell Organization, a local neighborhood group. It includes newsletters, correspondence, by-laws, event and program files, membership information, reports, and questionnaires.
The Greek Star newspaper was founded by Peter Lambros, a Chicago businessman, in 1904, and continued for over a century until 2015. This collection is comprised of an incomplete run of issues of The Greek Star, printed in Chicago for the city’s Greek population.
Henry D. Green was a commercial photographer on Chicago’s North Side. Subjects in the collection include local businesses, community groups, celebrations in neighborhood parks and events at local schools. Many photographs reflect life on the North Side during World War II. Additional materials by Henry Delorval Green are held at the Chicago History Museum.
As part of the CETA/Neighborhood Arts Program in Chicago, David Gremp was the artist-in-residence assigned to the Chicago Public Library. His photographs document the neighborhoods surrounding 13 library branch locations including Austin, Chatham, Chinatown, Garfield Park, Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Little Village, Lower Westside, Pullman, Scottsdale, Uptown, and Washington Heights.
The Ross M. Harano Papers document his leadership and participation with the Chicago Chapter of the Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) and Alliance to End Repression (AER) on efforts in the 1970s and 1980s to repeal Title II of the Internal Security Act of 1950 and enact redress thought the Civil Liberties Act of 1988. The collection includes committee meeting and planning materials and Congressional hearings and reports.
Hyde Park Herald publisher, Bruce Sagan renovated and reopened the Harper Theater as a playhouse and a dance and music venue in 1964. The Harper Theater Records include administrative records, correspondence, clippings and promotional materials highlighting theater and music performances during the 1960s.
Larry Hart, a designer and actor, graduated from the Goodman School of Drama in 1968. Collection includes posters for productions at Victory Gardens, Next Theatre Company and Pary Production Company.
Pat Hart, a costume designer, studied costume design at the Goodman School of Drama. She designed for productions at Touchstone Theatre, Pary Production Company and Victory Gardens.
Former Chicagoan Mildred Hatchell conducted extensive research on the hymns of the Rev. Charles Albert Tindley. Her papers consist of research materials, clippings and correspondence in support of her effort to have the Rev. Tindley recognized as the author of the song, “We Shall Overcome.”
This collection documents the life and work of Chicago-based architect Clarence Hatzfeld. It includes personal correspondence and photographs of Hatzfeld’s family, as well as photographs, renderings, architectural drawings, newspaper and magazine clippings and promotional brochures that cover his professional work.
This collection contains records of the Hawthorne Neighbors, a branch of the Lake View Citizens' Council, and approximately 626 color slides of Lake View. The slides mostly depict residential yards and gardens, but a small number of local businesses and religious institutions are also included.
Herbert Hill served in the 1950s and 1960s as labor director of the NAACP, where he was one of the most effective voices raised against racial discrimination by unions. He was later a professor of Afro-American studies at the University of Wisconsin. His collection consists of correspondence, manuscripts and published articles written by Hill.