Showing Collections: 241 - 270 of 376
Robert Pockmire was a painter, illustrator and designer. During the late 1970s he worked at the Victory Gardens Theatre in various roles, most notably as a graphic designer. The collection includes posters, programs, clippings and subscription mailings designed by Pockmire.
An early and exceptional football star, Fritz Pollard played for Lane Tech High School and Brown University, and in the National Football League. The papers include newspaper clippings and photographs collected by Eleanor Towns.
Portage Park is one of Chicago’s 77 community areas, located on the Northwest side of the city nine miles from the Loop. The Portage Park Community Collection contains programs, fliers, brochures, publications, and other material related to local businesses, schools, and community organizations; clippings; a small amount of biographical information and historical sketches; and a scrapbook and scrapbook pages. It also contains a number of photographs, most of which date from the 1910s.
The collection contains annual reports, brochures, bulletins, news clippings and photographs on the Pullman Company, the Pullman Free School of Manual Training, Pullman Town, and the 1894 strike.
Jane Ramsey served in Mayor Harold Washington’s cabinet as Director of Community Relations (1986-1988) and served as Executive Director of the Jewish Council on Urban Affairs. Her papers represent her work in Washington’s administration and his campaigns for Mayor, with an emphasis on Jewish voters.
This collection consists of abstracts of titles, transfer documents such as trust deeds and quit claims, and building specification records for lots on Chicago’s north side in the Ravenswood, Ravenswood Manor, and Lake View communities.
Ravenswood Gardens is a neighborhood located in the southwest corner of the Lincoln Square community area, on the east bank of the North Branch of the Chicago River. The collection includes administrative and historical documents from the Ravenswood Gardens Homeowners Association and over 900 color slides and 200 photographs mostly taken by Ravenswood Gardens resident Emil Dasing.
The Ravenswood L Coalition formed in 1994 in response to a proposed construction and renovation project of the Chicago Transit Authority’s Brown Line. Their goal was to advocate for the interests of riders of the Brown Line’s Ravenswood branch and discourage station closures and service disruptions. This small collection contains meeting notes and agendas, correspondence, clippings, survey results, fliers, and brochures.
The Ravenswood Manor Improvement Association was founded in 1914 and remains active as of 2023. It is comprised of residents of Ravenswood Manor, a neighborhood on Chicago’s northwest side. The collection documents the activities of the homeowners' activities and operations from 1914-1987, and includes: administrative records, financial records, minutes and supporting documents, letters, reports, maps, and photographs.
The collection consists of yearbooks which contain the club’s articles of incorporation, lists of officers and members, by-laws, news clippings, and program announcements and calendars and 5 photographs.
James H. Roche Papers document the Chicagoan’s World War II experience, his work for the U.S. Navy and the subsequent investigation of his national loyalty based on a handful of visits to the Chicago Chapter of the American League of Peace and Democracy between January and May 1939.
Rogers Park and West Ridge, two of Chicago’s seventy-seven community areas, are located nine miles north of the Loop on the city’s far North Side. This collection documents life in Rogers Park and West Ridge from the mid-nineteenth century to the present day.
This small collection consists of case studies, legal documents, reports, pamphlets and booklets connected to Susan B. Rosenblum’s work in Chicago in the 1980s. Items in the collection relate to three distinct areas of focus: displacement in the Uptown neighborhood in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the 1984 closing of the Playskool toy factory in West Humboldt Park and the creation of the non-profit Chicago Consortium of Worker Education in 1989.
Seymour Rosofsky (1924-1981) was part of a generation of post-war independent-minded Chicago artists and a founding member of the Chicago Imagist tradition. Collection includes drawings, paintings and lithographs of scenes from the Salt Creek Summer Theater and also of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir George Solti.
This collection contains school notebooks belonging to Clara, Elsie, and Walter Rupp, who studied at Blaine School and Lake View High School in the 1900s and 1910s. It also contains a few volumes of reference material, such as dictionaries and instructional guides, and a few novels.
J. Howell Russell was a British costume designer whose work was also seen on Chicago’s stages. The collection includes drawings for productions at the Chicago Opera House and the Alhambra in London.
Includes administrative records, as well as files kept by the society regarding winners and annual actress/actor of the year awards, leading lady awards and scholarship awards. Also photographs of society events and award recipients.
The Thomas F. Schulfer Program Collection was donated to Special Collections in 1988 by his son, Roche Schulfer, Executive Director at the Goodman Theatre. The collection documents primarily Chicago-area productions from the 1940s, 50s and 60s and includes a series of souvenir programs.
Rev. Ronald Schupp was active in Chicago’s anti-apartheid movement and in efforts to aid the homeless. His papers include programs and clippings.
The Scottsdale Homeowners Association was established in 1952 by residents of Scottsdale, a newly formed neighborhood on the Southwest Side of Chicago. This collection documents association’s activities through newsletters, meeting minutes, programs, clippings and photographs.
The compiler of this scrapbook remains anonymous. She attended a wide range of plays, operas and concerts. The scrapbook is annotated and includes reviews, clippings and occasionally pictures.
Laura Bell Shaw served as president of the Women’s Auxiliary board of Provident Hospital in the early 1980s. She was also an organizer of an early African American women’s golf organization. Her papers include programs, rare serials and newspaper clippings.
ShawChicago specialized in concert readings of works by playwright George Bernard Shaw and his contemporaries. The collection includes production records, including programs and promotional materials, in addition to scripts, photographs and papers from long serving Artistic Director Robert Scogin.
Barbara Shepherd worked on the 1940 American Negro Exposition held at the Chicago Coliseum. She also served in staff positions in several social service organizations. This small photograph collection is one of the few sources that documents the construction and activities of the 1940 exposition.