East Garfield Park (Chicago, Ill.)
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Austin Newspapers Collection
The collection contains community newspapers includes The Austin Herald, The Austin News, The Austinite, The Austin Voice, The Austin Weekly News, and The Windy City Word. The issues primarily span 1970-1997.
Dates: 1876-1997; Majority of material found within 1970 - 1997
Bethel New Life Records
Abstract Bethel New Life, Inc. is a non-profit community development corporation and social service organization. The organization received an Illinois Humanities Council grant in 1983 to “involve the Black community of Chicago’s West Side in recovering the recent history of the area.” The Looking Backward to Move Forward project from 1984 to1989 focused on the themes of migration, ownership patterns, the church, and community leadership. The historical explorations included a series of oral...
Dates: 1870 - 2010
Chicago Department of Urban Renewal Records
Abstract The records in this collection were created and collected by the Department of Urban Renewal, its predecessors and other Chicago city departments with duties related to planning and development. The majority of the collection is comprised of photographs, contact sheets, negatives and slides of Chicago neighborhoods considered and targeted for improvement, including images that show buildings and neighborhoods that were subsequently razed. There are also papers related to the administration...
Dates: 1891 - 1992; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1980
East Garfield Park Community Collection
The East Garfield Park Collection contains manuscripts, printed material and photographs on businesses, clubs and organizations, religious institutions, residents, schools and street scenes in the community area, as well as Garfield Park itself.
Dates: circa 1870-1964
Mary Zimmerman Scrapbook
Abstract Mary Zimmerman’s scrapbook highlights her educational, professional and public achievements. Mary Zimmerman (1869-1953) was one of four original faculty members of John Marshall High School that opened in Chicago’s East Garfield Park neighborhood in 1895. She taught Latin for forty years until her retirement in 1935. Zimmerman was active with the American Friends of the Hebrew University and sought to raise funds for scholarships and programs for the Jerusalem institution that was founded in...
Dates: 1895 - 1953