Women -- Societies and clubs
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
The Associated Clubs of Woodlawn Records documents the organization’s work to promote business, civic, educational and social welfare in the Woodlawn community. The collection contains committee files, correspondence, meeting minutes, membership rosters, reports.
The Austin Daughters of the American Revolution (ADAR) - David Kennison Chapter was founded on December 12, 1921. The chapter’s namesake, David Kennison, claimed to be a Revolutionary War veteran. He died in 1852 and was buried in Lincoln Park, which was then a cemetery. Six scrapbooks compiled by ADAR members contain news clippings, photographs and yearbooks describing ADAR functions and members.
The collection includes news clippings, yearbooks and scrapbooks that document the objectives of the Austin Woman’s Club, defined as “intellectual and social culture, general philanthropic work, a united effort toward self-improvement and the elevation of humanity.”
The Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861-1865, is an organization whose membership can trace its lineage to soldiers who served on the Union side in America’s Civil War, 1861-1865. The DUVCW was founded in 1885 in Massillon, Ohio. This collection is comprised almost entirely of minute books from the Department of Illinois and various local tents throughout the state.
The Englewood Woman’s Club Collection was organized in 1896. The collection consists primarily of yearbooks dating from 1898 to 1931.
The North Town Woman’s Club was formed on December 17, 1930. It aimed to pursue civic, educational, and philanthropic purposes. This collection consists mostly of their meeting minutes and reports, with a small amount of additional material such as notes and correspondence.
Rogers Park and West Ridge, two of Chicago’s seventy-seven community areas, are located nine miles north of the Loop on the city’s far North Side. This collection documents life in Rogers Park and West Ridge from the mid-nineteenth century to the present day.
The collection consists of yearbooks which contain the club’s articles of incorporation, lists of officers and members, by-laws and program calendars.
The Woodlawn Block Club Council’s activities are chronicled in records containing its constitution and by-laws, correspondence, minutes of meetings, membership rosters and publicity materials dealing with its community betterment projects.
The Woodlawn Women’s Club Records (WWC), contain a bound volume by Louise J. Pearson titled, History of the Woodlawn Woman’s Club, meeting minutes and yearbooks that chronicle by-laws, membership and programs from 1913 to 1954.